Admission and Application Procedures
MBA Prerequisite Competencies
Viterbo University is proud of its students' diverse backgrounds and welcomes students from all walks of life into its MBA program. To support non-business majors in fulfilling the prerequisite competencies for the MBA program, we have developed a 3-credit Foundations of Business course specifically designed to help you achieve competency in the core business areas (accounting, finance, business law, marketing, information systems, and economics) efficiently.
A student who holds an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited business school generally fulfills the prerequisites by virtue of previous course work. Students who have not developed these skills in their undergraduate coursework are conditionally admitted into the program until completion of the Foundations of Business course in the first semester. Other options for demonstrating competency in the prerequisite areas include passing CLEP examinations or completing work experience portfolios. Please contact Tiffany Smith (email@example.com) with any questions you may have regarding foundation requirements.
Admission Requirements: The following criteria are considered along with all items in the application submission packet in making the determination on acceptance.
An application submission packet is only considered complete upon receipt of the following items:
- An official Viterbo University application for the Dahl School of Business M.B.A. program. The application form is available at http://www.viterbo.edu/admissions/apply-online.
- An official transcript evidencing the baccalaureate degree sent directly from a regionally accredited, degree-granting institution. Transcripts must be requested and sent directly from the institution to Viterbo University Admission Office, 900 Viterbo Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601. We also accept electronic transcripts from Parchment, National Clearinghouse, and Credentials Solutions. Faxed, emailed or hand-delivered transcripts are not acceptable.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.75, or a 3.0 for the last two years of the undergraduate degree. Exceptions may be made to this requirement if the applicant (1) has (and describes) significant organizational experience OR (2) has taken the GMAT examination OR (3) has successfully completed other graduate level coursework
- Two letters of reference from individuals attesting to the applicant’s business aptitudes and attitude, values, and ability to successfully complete graduate level coursework (which includes discussion, contemplation, and critical thinking). One letter shall be from a direct supervisor, if possible.
- A two page personal essay setting forth:1) the reasons why you desire to attain an M.B.A. degree; 2) what you can add to Viterbo University’s M.B.A. program; and 3) what you hope to get out of Viterbo University’s M.B.A. program.
An MBA in Health Care Leadership cohorts consist of 18-25 students. There is no deadline for application, but early applicants are more likely to be granted admission to the cohort.
Admission to Other Graduate Programs: Admission to a specific degree or certificate program does not imply admission to any other degree or certificate program. A separate application must be submitted to apply for admission to another program.
Credits Applied to the MBA: A graduate course taken as part of a certificate program may later be applied to satisfy MBA program requirements, given:
- The student has applied and been accepted into the MBA program.
- A grade of B or better has been received on the certificate course.
- The course is considered relevant to the MBA at the time of admission.
- The course was taken within the timeframe specified for transferrable credits in Viterbo’s graduate program catalog.
A student who completes a certificate and then enters the MBA program cannot declare the certificate program as an emphasis. If they choose to declare a different emphasis during the MBA program, that will be the emphasis designation on the official transcript.
International applications are processed in conjunction with the Director of Global Education. International applicants who are not native English speakers will need to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language, showing a TOEFL (or equivalent) score of 550 or higher. English language (ESL) courses are also offered at Viterbo University and may be required as a condition to acceptance into the MBA program.
Viterbo University reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant it deems unfit to participate in its MBA program.
For more information about the MBA in Health Care Leadership program:
Tiffany Smith, Assistant Director, COBL Graduate Programs, College of Business and Leadership