Exploring Science through Forensics Jan. 8, 2013
Approximately 100 students will be selected for this event through two mechanisms:
Individual student applications (approximately 60 spots) – scroll down for details and online application.
Teacher sponsored group (approximately 40 spots) – scroll down for details and online application.
Applications will be accepted until Dec. 14, 2012.
Students who meet the criteria below will be admitted on a rolling basis. Students who do not meet the criteria will be admitted in December if space allows:
- Interest in a career in math, science, medical-related field, or field related to forensics (forensics, criminal justice, history for example)
- Year in school (sophomore minimum, junior or senior preferred - sophomores admitted as space allows.)
- Note: If a senior, preference will be given to Viterbo applicants
- Ability to attend the entire day
- High school GPA above 3.0
- Diversity of high schools represented (we will strive to include students from different high schools in the region)
Applicants will be notified of their admittance to the program on a rolling basis (note: we will likely not be able to accept all applicants based on high demand for this program).
Students selected for the program will be required to:
- sign a waiver form (if under 18, a parent or guardian must sign).
- arrange transportation to the event (lunch and all materials will be provided free of charge).
- obtain permission from teachers and guardians to miss school for this event.
Approximately 10 teacher sponsored groups will be selected. Our goal is that the teacher will bring 1–4 students with them (however, they will not remain in a single group on the day of the event; they will be separated and placed with students from other schools). We ask that the teachers select juniors and seniors for their group based on their intent to major in an area related to math, science, medical fields, or forensics-related fields in college. A maximum of two teams per high school will be selected. You must get approval from the district (or principal) to attend the event prior to your application.
Groups will be selected based on the following criteria:
- application date
- diversity of school districts represented
- ability of the teacher to attend the forensics science event
- ability of the school district to provide transportation for the group to the event (if necessary)
- discipline taught by the teacher (math, honors, science, forensics are preferred)
Science Event Coordinator