How to Apply
How to Apply for Admission into Master of Arts in Education Program
Admission Requirements: Admission requirements for the Master of Arts in Education programs include the following:
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA for 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution in order to be admitted in good standing
- Earned teaching or administrative license
- Applicants to the M.A. in Education with Educational Leadership emphasis areas are required to submit the following:
- Wisconsin applicants: One academic letter of recommendation is required for Wisconsin Educational Leadership programs;
- Iowa applicants: Two academic letters of recommendation are required for Iowa Educational Leadership programs.
Application to Program: Applicants are required to complete the online application in its entirety and to submit the following supplemental items:
- An official transcript, evidencing the baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited, degree-granting institution.
- Transcripts must be requested and sent directly from the degree-granting institution to Viterbo University, Enrollment Operations, 900 Viterbo Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601. We also accept electronic transcripts through Parchment, National Clearinghouse, and Credentials Solutions. Please select "Office of Admission - Traditional Programs" as your destination, if given more than one option when ordering electronic transcripts. Faxed, emailed, hand-delivered or marked “issued to student” transcripts are not acceptable.
- A copy of the applicant’s current teaching license
- Application for Admission Essays - Three-part narrative available within the online application
- The Essay questions and instructions are available on the 'Resources' tab on the left
- Review and sign the Viterbo University "Disclosure Statement and Educational Loan Agreement"
- Background check as requested
Transfer Courses: Candidates may petition for up to six (6) credits of graduate coursework, taken prior to beginning the MAE program, for transfer as elective credit only. Professional development and AEA courses are not eligible for transfer. Credits must have been taken within seven (7) years of application, and have been earned at a regionally accredited institution. Candidates must submit official transcripts and petition for transfer at the time of application.
Note regarding Viterbo University Professional Development coursework:
- Effective June 1, 2012, EDEX credits are not eligible for transfer of credit
- Effective 2017 EDUC/EDPD 510, 546, 547, 548, 549 courses are not eligible for transfer of credit
Graduate Tuition: $380 per credit tuition plus $10 per credit resource fee for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Financial Aid Information: Financial aid is available for the MAE program. Contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information.
Apply to the Master of Arts in Education program: click on the "Apply Now" tab on the left of this page. All students who intend to register for courses must be accepted into the program prior to registering for courses.
Register for Courses: New students will be assisted with registration for the first semester by the Graduate Education Advisor. Returning students should register online via VitNet. Courses with less than a minimum of 10 students registered are subject to cancellation.
Wisconsin Contact Information:
Susan Hughes, Program Specialist and Wisconsin Student Advisor, for program information or application questions: 608-976-3394 or email@example.com
Iowa Contact Information:
Michael Gonzalez, Director, Partnership Development and Site Coordinator, 4949 Westown Prkwy Suite 195, West Des Moines, IA 50266 Phone: 515-224-4811 or 1-888-235-2200 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Page, Iowa Educational Leadership Program Specialist/Iowa Student Advisor, email@example.com or 515-224-4811 or 1-888-235-2200