Scholarships and Grants Available:
1) Funding to strengthen minority serving institutions
Another important new program included in the legislation is intended to strengthen minority serving institutions.
- $510 million is provided to enhance the academic programs and access to programs at institutions that serve historically underrepresented populations.
- Funds can be used to increase the number of low-income and/or minority students earning degrees in the STEM fields, to purchase laboratory equipment, and to strengthen teacher preparation programs.
- To read the legislative language describing the grants to minority serving institutions, go to AACTE’s Web site at http://www.aacte.org/index.php?/Government-Relations/
2) Avant – Women in La Crosse Area Business and Leadership Scholarship
Purpose: The Avant awards have been established by the members of Avant-Women in La Crosse Area Business and Leadership to foster the professional growth and development of women aspiring to be in leadership positions. Two $500 awards will fund scholarships or support unpaid internships. These awards will be given to a female from UW-La Crosse, Viterbo, or Western Technical College.
Eligibility: An Avant award applicant must be female, 25 years of age or older, enrolled as a junior, senior or graduate student at UW-La Crosse or Viterbo University and seeking a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree or enrolled as a first year student in an Associate Degree Program at Western taking a minimum of eight credits at the time the application is submitted.
Procedures: The applicant must complete the application form and send it and a copy of the applicant’s most recent transcript along with 2 letters of recommendation from faculty/staff (preferably in your major area of study) to the applicable addresses listed on the front of the application. Avant’s Scholarship Committee will review the applications and, if needed, interview the applicants to select the recipients for the awards.
3) Teacher Loan Forgiveness
If you are a teacher in an eligible school, took your first student loan out after October 1, 1998, and meet other criteria, up to $17,500 of your Stafford loan balance may be forgiven by the federal government. To determine if you are eligible for forgiveness, contact your lender or servicer. Visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/index.jsp for more information.