A Viterbo University literacy coach is a reading specialist who is trained to provide explicit professional development to teachers in a variety of situations. Coaching is educator-centered in that a coach uses demonstration, observation, and engaged conversations related to specific teacher beliefs and classroom practices. Theoretically, within the constructivist view of teaching, the coach facilitates conversations with the educator within his/her zone of proximal development. The ultimate goal is to foster teacher growth and independent reflection that supports optimum learning for all students.
Criteria for Admission
Wisconsin 316 Reading Teacher License
This is a nine (9) credit program, with six (6) credit hours of coursework and three (3) credit hours of practicum.
Six (6) credits in Systems, Literacy Processes, and Coaching Relationships. You must apply to the program prior to the practicum.
- Three (3) credits and two (2) site visits
- Performed in one’s own school district with permission of administration
- May have up to two (2) academic years to complete
- Submit documentation of competence in the stated goals and objectives of the certification program
- Minimum of two (2) site visits by the Literacy Coaching faculty
To view dates and locations of upcoming classes go to the course schedule section on the Graduate Programs in Education homepage.
For additional Information contact:
Jeanette Armstrong, Cross Categorical and Reading Program Specialist
(608) 796-3395 or email@example.com
Course registrations 888-484-0111