To change Junk Email Settings via Office 365 (the web version) - www.viterbo.edu/o365
1. Log in to your )365 Account and go to Mail. To change your Junk Email settings, go to the "gear" in the upper right and choose "Options"
2. After clicking "Options", on the left pane under "Accounts", choose "Block or allow" to toggle settings on/off for junk email, to add safe senders, and block senders.
a. You can also check "Trust email from my contacts" which helps avoid valid messages going to Junk Email if you keep addresses in your address book.
3. If you receive a message in your Junk Folder and want to mark it as "safe", right-click on the message and choose "Mark as not junk".
4. If you receive a junk-message in your inbox, similarly right-click on the message and choose "Mark as junk".
5. Clutter is a new feature implemented by Microsoft. "Clutter looks at what you've done in the past to determine the messages you're most likely to ignore. It then puts them here, in the Clutter folder. Just keep using email as usual and Clutter will learn which messages aren't important to you. From time to time, Clutter might get it wrong. You can move the messages we've incorrectly identified as clutter to your inbox, and Clutter will take notice". -Microsoft
6. Check your Clutter folder regularly and if any valid messages end up there, move them to your inbox and as Microsoft says above, Clutter will "learn" that the message is valid and stop putting messages from that person, newsletter, etc., in the Clutter Folder.
a. To move messages from Clutter to inbox, you can drag/drop, or right-click on the message and choose "Move to inbox".
7. To turn OFF Clutter. From in Mail, go to the "gear" in the upper right and choose "Options". After clicking "Options", on the left pane under the "Mail" section, choose "Clutter". Check or Uncheck the setting there to turn Clutter On/Off.
a. Remember to click "Save" when done!
- You can also "STAR" any folder in the Web-Version to have that folder show up under favorites when you first sign in. If you don't see a folder in your favorites list, click on "MORE" to see all folders, and while hovering with the mouse over a folder, click on the "star" to the right of the folder to add to favorites.
TO CHANGE JUNK EMAIL SETTINGS IN OUTLOOK 2013
- Clutter must be turned on/off via the Web Version
- If you have turned Clutter off and no longer see it in the full version of Outlook, sign in to the web version and the folder will remain until you delete it.
1. Under the "Home" Ribbon, click on "Junk" - "Junk Email Options...".
2. From the "Options" window, you have the choice of four types of filtering:
a. No Automatic Filtering
d. Safe Lists Only
3. Most everyone at Viterbo has this set to Low or High
4. If you wish to edit Safe Senders Lists or Blocked Lists, click on the "Safe Senders" Tab and you can add/remove safe senders. You can also check two additional settings, which are recommended if you are having trouble with valid emails going to Junk:
a. "Also trust e-mail from my Contacts"
b. "Automatically add people I e-mail to the Safe Senders List"
OUTLOOK 2013 CONTINUED...
You can also configure Outlook to recognize if a message is SAFE or JUNK by right-clicking on any message.
This is very similar to how it works in the O365 Version
1. If you receive a message in your Junk Folder and want to mark it as "safe", right-click on the message and choose one of the "Never..." choices or "Not Junk".
2. If you receive a junk-message in your inbox, similarly right-click on the message and choose "Block Sender".