Physical or Sexual Assault/Fight
- Make sure the victim is safe. Call 911 if the assailant might still be in the area.
- Take the victim to a hospital emergency room for medical evaluation. There may be hidden physical injuries of which the victim is not aware. A medical evaluation is needed whether or not the victim decides to take legal action.
- Assist in preserving evidence. Tell the victim NOT to change clothes, shower, douche, comb hair, brush teeth, eat, drink, or urinate (unless absolutely necessary).
- Tell the victim not to disturb the crime scene and to take a change of clothes to a hospital emergency room.
- A sexual assault nurse examiner will be contacted to provide support, explain procedures and options, and offer initial counseling that can be followed up with counselors on campus.
- Encourage reporting the crime to Viterbo campus safety 608-796-3911, Viterbo health services 608-796-3806, the La Crosse Police Department 608-785-7241, or the Viterbo Vice President for Student Development 608-796-3801 as soon as possible. Reporting can be done anonymously and does not obligate the student to take legal action.
- Encourage the victim to get emotional help from Viterbo counseling services 608-796-3808, Franciscan Skemp 608-791-9720 or 1-800-362-5454, ext. 2291 or Gundersen Lutheran 608-775-5950 or 1-800-362-9567, ext. 5950.
Physical Assault or Fight
- Call 911. Calmly provide location of incident and whether weapons are involved.
- Call campus safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- If possible, defuse the situation.