Intruder, Suspicious Person, Hostage Taker or Disturbance
Intruder, Suspicious Person, or Hostage Taker
- An intruder or suspicious person is any unauthorized person.
- Call campus safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- If you choose to approach an intruder or suspicious person, ask someone to join you. Politely greet the intruder and identify yourself. If the purpose of their visit is not legitimate, ask the intruder to leave.
- If you are aware of a hostage situation, call 911 immediately. Be prepared to provide the police the individual’s features, clothing, vehicle, where he/she is located in the building, whether he/she is carrying a weapon or package, etc.
- If you are taken hostage, follow the instructions of the abductor or hostage taker. Remain calm. Treat the abductor with respect. Ask permission to speak, do not argue or make suggestions.
Civil Disturbance or Riot
- Do not become involved in the situation.
- Call 911. Provide the address, location, and all possible details to dispatcher.
- Call Campus Safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- In the event of a civil disturbance, Viterbo administration may cancel or delay classes/
activities; remove, contain, or isolate disruptive persons; request police intervention; lock buildings for safety; etc.