Emergency Response Plan

emergency response plan emergency plan highlighter

Sexual Assault

  1. Be safe and go to a safe place.
  2. Get medical care (if needed). If you are physically injured, medical care is vital. You can get medical care at any hospital emergency room. If you are 18 years or older, you can get treatment for your immediate injuries without filing a police report.
  3. To get support and assistance with the assault process, you should consider calling as soon as possible one of these 24 hour services: Mayo Safe Path Domestic Abuse and Sexual Assault Services, 608-392-7804 or 1-800-362-5454, extension 7804; Mayo Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program, 608-392-7804 or 1-800-362-5454, extension 7804; or Gundersen Sexual Assault Services Crisis Line, 608-775-5950 or 1-800-362-9567, extension 55950.
  4. Tell someone you can trust: a counselor, a friend, a relative, a medical provider, a minister, the police, a Resident Assistant, or a Residence Life Community Coordinator.
  5. If you intend to report the assault, or leave this option open in the future, physical specimens collected soon after the assault/rape will be valuable evidence. Do not shower, bathe, wash your hands, eat, drink or brush your teeth. Place each item of clothing in a separate paper bag (no plastic). Leave the area where the assault occurred undisturbed.
  6. You make the decision when and how to utilize law enforcement. However, the longer you wait to report the assault, the greater the likelihood that valuable evidence (e.g., DNA, collaborative interviews from witnesses) may be lost. Evidence ­collection is done in the county where the assault occurred, usually within the first 72 hours following the assault (the ­earlier, the better). You have three ways to contact law enforcement::
    1. Call 911 if an emergency, or if not emergent, call the police department dispatch where the crime occurred.
    2. Go to the police station in the jurisdiction where the assault occurred to file a police report.
    3. If you go to the hospital, ask that they notify the police.