Mental Health Emergency or Attempted Suicide
- All suicide attempts should be reported to 911 immediately.
- If the individual is aggressive, violent, or harmful to self or others, call 911. Do not attempt to handle the situation alone.
- Call Campus Safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- A psychological crisis may exist when an individual is delusional, out of touch with reality, or threatening harm to self or others. The crisis may be manifested as paranoia, disruptive behavior, anger, yelling, or self-injury. When encountering such situations, one should:
- Stay calm and stay with the person (if safe to do so) until professional help arrives.
- Listen carefully and considerately.
- Do not argue with the person. Avoid aggravating the situation.
- Encourage counseling, support from friends and family, seeking assistance with life goals, and/or seeking assistance with finances and housing.