Research Fellow 2012-13
Assistant Professor, School of Education
Vicky Eiben is a faculty member in the School of Education. She teaches Introduction to Education, Professional Issues, Creative Arts for Early Childhood, Science Methods for Grades 1–9, Biology Curriculum Project, and Professional Portfolio Development for Student Teachers, supervises student teachers and as advises undergraduate student research. She has two undergraduate degrees, one in biology/outdoor education and the other in elementary education. She earned a master’s degree from Antioch University and an Ed.D. from Fielding Graduate University. Eiben's dissertation was on the success and sustainability of visionary grassroots education initiatives. Ongoing research and writing projects focus on place-based education in rural communities and poverty-informed education.
Eiben’s fellowship research continued research began with her dissertation and examined the impact of visionary and ethical leadership of Cobscook Community Learning Center,a community-based educational organization, on the health of a high-poverty, rural county in Down East Maine. Cobscook Community Learning Center is currently involved in developing a rural pilot of the urban, poverty intervention program, Turn Around for Children, based in New York City. The Rural Turn Around for Children project will serve as a model for other rural communities faced with similar issues. One goal of on-going research at Cobscook Community Learning Center is to provide information and inspiration for educational organizations in other rural communities.
- Eiben, V. & Hughes, S. (2014, October). Making the Gray Matter: Brain Compatible Teaching and Learning in the Higher Education Classroom. International Society of Teaching and Learning Conference, Quebec City, Quebec.
- Eiben, V. (2014, January). History of Folk Schools in North America, National Schools for Life Conference, Viroqua, WI.
- Eiben, V. (2011, July). NFS Grundtvig and the Folk School Vision, Driftless Folk School, Viroqua, Wis., July 2011.
- Eiben, V. (2010, April). Success and Sustainability of Visionary Grassroots Education Initiatives in Rural Areas, American Educational Research Association Annual Conference.
- Eiben, V. (2009, January). Grassroots Education Initiatives in Rural Areas, Poster Session, College of Human and Organizational Development, Fielding University.
- Eiben, V., Germaine-Watts, J., & Tiner, K.A. (2008, November). Urban and Rural Intersections Creating Culturally Appropriate and Place-Based Learning Communities, Fielding Graduate University Board of Trustees.
- Eiben, V., Furth, A., McKrimmen, K., Spicer, C. (2007, October). Folk Schools and Radical Social Change, Conference on Education, Leadership, and Activism for a Life Sustaining Civilization, Lesley University.
- Eiben, V. (publication pending). Living Systems, a Paradigm for Life and Learning In Spicer, C. & Kumar-Paul, S. (Eds.), Education, Development, and Enlightenment.
- Eiben, V. (2015, Spring). A Brief History of Folk Schools. Folk Education Association of America.
- Eiben, V. (2010, Dec.) Up form the Earth: A Study of Grassroots Schools. YIHS Magazine.