Student Emergency Fund
What is the Student Emergency Fund?
The Viterbo University Student Emergency Fund is coordinated as a joint venture between Campus Ministry and the Center for Student Success. The Student Emergency Fund is a small fund aimed at supporting students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency which would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education. These funds are not intended to be used for tuition, routine expenses or as a consistent supplement to a student's education funding sources. The number of students who can be served by the Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds.
What Expenses Are Covered by the Student Emergency Fund?
Expenses which may be covered by the Student Emergency Fund include, but are not limited to:
- Medications and other costs related to medical care (i.e. co-pays, office visits, hospital bills)
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
- Transportation issues (i.e. car repair)
- Assistance with replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Childcare and other dependent-related expenses
- Travel costs for essential travel (i.e. work, medical, school, or emergency)
- Assistance with rent and/or utilities
- Groceries and other essential household expenses
What Expenses Are NOT Covered by the Student Emergency Fund?
Expenses which are not covered by the Student Emergency Fund include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition or other university costs that would be applied directly to the student university account
- Costs associated with university coursework--excluding textbooks
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), furniture, or other household expenses
- Parking tickets or other fines
- Entertainment or recreation expenses
- Non-essential travel (recreational)
- Health insurance
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
- Applicants must be experiencing a financial hardship resulting from an emergency or unexpected incident.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled students at Viterbo University during the term when the emergency funds would be applied. If there is a need during the summer months, applications will be considered based on the next semester's enrollment.
- Applicants must complete an online application and may be asked to submit supporting documentation (i.e. copies of bills, invoices, receipts, estimates).
- If more than one application for emergency funds is under consideration at the same time, the requests for funding will be prioritized based on information provided in the application and the student's need for funding to remain enrolled at Viterbo University.
What is the Application Process?
- Students may apply for this fund at any time.
- Students who are in need of emergency financial assistance are invited to complete the application. (See link below.)
- Applicants must complete all questions in full. Please be aware that supporting documentation may be required.
- A committee formed for the purpose of reviewing Student Emergency Fund applications will review applications and determine the appropriate funding amount, if any.
- Applicants will be required to meet with a committee member to discuss their application.
- All information provided through the application will remain confidential.
- The Student Emergency Fund will only provide funding to the level needed within each eligible application. Funds distributed do not generally exceed $500. However, the committee will review applications requesting in excess of $500 for unique and unusual circumstances of emergency financial need.
How Will Payments Be Distributed?
- Payments will be made directly to the student.
- Students failing to meet eligibility requirements or to produce full and appropriate documentation, if requested, at the time of the application may not be considered for this fund.
- Payments will be distributed within two weeks of meeting with a committee member and subsequent approval of application.
When Will I Be Contacted After I Submit My Application?
- The committee will aim to respond to applicants as soon as possible (normally within two working days).
What If I Have Questions?
- If you have questions regarding the Student Emergency Fund, please contact:
Advisor on College Affordability
Director, Campus Ministry
Director, Student Success and Retention
[Viterbo University reserves the right to make changes to the process of selection for and distribution of funds from the Student Emergency Fund without prior notice.]