Statement of Purpose
Viterbo’s purposes are derived from the Gospel as reflected in the heritage of Saint Francis, Saint Clare, and the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration who founded the institution.
- To offer baccalaureate liberal arts degree programs along with career and professional opportunities on both a full- and part-time basis.
- To offer opportunities for life-long learning through degree completion programs, specialized professional degree programs, and continuing education as well as selected master’s and doctoral degree programs.
- To develop a total program of studies, adapted to the needs and interests of the students, which will stimulate the fullest possible growth of the intellectual and creative powers of each student.
- To create an educational environment which will stimulate free inquiry, a search for truth, aesthetic appreciation, intellectual integrity, and leadership potential.
- To foster the integration of knowledge with religious and ethical values.
- To deepen in the students an appreciation of one’s own cultural heritage and traditions, as well as those of others.
- To facilitate the formation of a Christian community which offers opportunities for religious dialogue, experience, and worship, and which manifests mutual care, honesty, respect and love.
- To maintain a Catholic Christian orientation and a fidelity to the continuance of the traditions of the Catholic Church and the spirit of Franciscanism.
- To provide a milieu which fosters growth in self-actualization, emotional maturity, religious convictions, and a dedication to the ideals of service.
- To facilitate integration of the living and learning aspects of student development.