Nursing Career Fair
The Nursing Career Fair offers nursing students the opportunity to explore regional employment and internship opportunities, practice communicating with professional recruiters, and gain information about the application protocols and timetables for new graduate nurses and nurse interns. The fair is typically scheduled each November.
If you have questions or are interested in participating in the 2017 Nursing Career Fair, telephone the Career Services office at 608-796-3828 or email email@example.com. The fair provides you with the opportunity to connect with over 100 senior BSN students and a significant number of junior nursing students seeking internships. Typically, a few of the BSN completion students (ADNs completing their BSN degree) will also be in attendance. Registration forms are generally mailed to interested organizations during August.
- Bring employer-ready resumes
- Dress in business casual or interview apparel
- Research some of the healthcare facilities attending the fair (see below)
- Prepare your "elevator speech"--introducing yourself, describing your experiences, strengths, goals
- Approach recruiters on your own when possible (often there is a line or group)
- Check-out employment/internships
- Be familiar with career fair guidelines
- Thank recruiters for coming to Viterbo and sharing their information and time
- Follow-up by sending thank you notes via mail or email to the recruiters from organizations you are truly interested in
Nursing Resume Presentation
Sessions will be scheduled in the two weeks preceding the fair.
Resume Check-up Booths
Bring your resume for review from Career Services Staff in the Nursing Center Lobby.
Sessions will be scheduled in the nursing center during two weeks preceding the fair. Students are also welcome to bring resumes to regularly scheduled drop-in resume reviews in the Career Services office (Murphy 374)
Questions for Recruiters
- Does your organization have a nurse internship program?
- Does your organization plan on hiring new graduate nurses?
- What types of opportunities are available for interns/new nurses at your organization?
- What do you look for when selecting nurse interns? new graduate nurses?
- What do you anticipate will be the timeline for applications for internships? for new graduate nurses?
- How do new graduate nurses apply to your organizations (e.g., for advertised positions not requiring experience? for new graduate nurse positions only? for the residency program only?)
- What type of new nurse orientation/residency program does your organization offer?
- Are you accepting resumes today?
- Would you mind taking a look at my resume to let me know if it includes the type of information you prefer?
- Can you tell me about the interview process for new graduate nurses in your organizations?
- What are some of the positive aspects of being a nurse in your organization?
- What are some new programs/challenges at your organization?
- What advice would you give to an intern or new graduate nurse applying at your organization?
Registered Recruiters for the 2016 Fair
Air Force Nurse Corps
Aspirus Hospital, Wausau, WI
Aurora Healthcare, Milwaukee, WI
Bethany Lutheran Homes, La Crosse, WI
Black River Memorial Hospital, Black River Falls, WI
Bright Star Care, Onalaska, WI
Crossing Rivers, Prairie du Chien, WI
Davita Dialysis, Rochester, MN
Easter Seals, Wisconsin Dells, WI
Federal Medical Center, Rochester, MN
FHN Healthcare System, Freeport, IL
Gundersen Health System, La Crosse, WI
Hennepin County, Minneapolis, MN
Ho Chunk Health Department, Black River Falls, WI
La Crosse County: Lakeview Health Center and Hillview Healthcare Center, West Salem and La Crosse, WI
LHI, La Crosse, WI
Marshfield Clinic, Marshfield, WI
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN; Mayo Clinic Health System-Franciscan Healthcare, La Crosse, WI
Mulder Health Care Facilitiy, West Salem, WI
New Lisbon Correctional Institute/Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center/Department of Corrections, New Lisbon and Mauston, WI
Premier Medical Staffing Services, Milwaukee, WI
Recover Health, La Crosse, WI
Reedsburg Area Medical Center, Reedsburg, WI
Sacred Heart Hospital, Eau Claire, WI
Samaritan Bethany, Rochester, MN
Sauk Prairie Healthcare, Prairie Du Sac, WI
SSM Health: St Mary's (Madison and Janesville), Dean Clinics, St Clare (Baraboo)
Tomah Memorial Hospital, Tomah, WI
Tomah VA Medical Center, Tomah, WI
True Friends, Annandale, MN
University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
UW Health, Madison, WI
Villa St. Joseph, La Crosse, WI
Western Wisconsin Cares, La Crosse, WI
Winona Health, Winona, MN