- Is a student considering a change of major but not sure what direction to go?
- Is an Exploring student wondering if his or her education makes any sense without a career goal?
- Is a student committed to a major field of study but not sure about a career path? Or about how to develop a career path?
Encourage student to…
- Call 796-3828 to make an appointment with the career counselor.
- Enroll in UNST 110, a career planning course for exploring majors.
- Enroll in UNST 310, a career planning course for students who have declared a major but lack a career path.
- Check Type Focus and the Strong Assessment out resources on the Career Services website.
- Is a student considering a career path but needs more insight and knowledge to make a decision?
- Does a student or advisee want to increase his or her marketability for employment?
- Does a student need real-world experiential learning to demonstrate the ability to transfer classroom knowledge/skills to the workplace?
- Does a student lack employment or volunteer work related to his or her field?
Encourage student to…
- Enroll in UNST 287, an internship for first and second-year students seeking to explore a career field.
- Call 796-3829 to make an appointment with the Intern and Employer Relations Coordinator.
- Check intern listings on CareerConnect.
- Attend Workforce Job/Internship Fair for private college students, scheduled each February in Milwaukee (free bus ride).
- Activate an internship account on CareerConnect and enroll in the departmental 487 course, an internship course for juniors and seniors.
- Is a student planning to graduate and seek employment in the next six months?
- Does the student need to increase awareness of resources to help with job search?
- Does a student’s resume look “iffy” at best?
- Does the student or advisee need help developing professional networks and contacts?
- Does the student need help starting a LinkedIn account?
- Is the student unsure of the role of career fairs in a professional job search?
- Is the student unsure of what to expect in a professional interview?
- Is the student a first generation college graduate without family experience, guidance, and support related to professional job search?
Encourage student to...
- Participate in a resume workshop, scheduled in a class or at a campus site; have resume critiqued at scheduled campus resume review sessions.
- Call 796-3828 for an appointment to work on resume/cover letter or interview skills.
- Utilize CareerConnect, Viterbo’s online job bank.
- Attend special events, including Speed Mock Interviewing, campus presentations, the Workforce Career Fair, and other area career fairs.
- Explore software on the Career Services website to practice interviewing; attend campus presentations and special events related to interviewing; scheduled a mock intervier with Career Services staff.
- Enroll in UNST 410, a one-credit class focused on job search strategies and skills.
- Network with alumni and community professionals in his or her field.
- Start search and application process several months before graduation.