Students that are not currently enrolled in full-time coursework at Viterbo University
Transfer students need to apply and be accepted into Viterbo University as Nursing Majors and will meet the following requirements for admission as Viterbo University students:
- Submit high school transcript or equivalency which includes high school rank data.
- Submit transcripts from all previous post secondary schools attended.
- Submit ACT data, if the test was taken, with results indicating a composite ACT score of 20.
- Applicants with a composite ACT score below 20 must be reviewed by the admissions committee.
- If no ACT data is available, placement testing in math, reading, and writing, and an interview, prior to acceptance. Applicants must demonstrate a readiness for math 110/math 130 on the Viterbo math placement test.
- Completion of one year of high school chemistry, or equivalency, with grades of C or better.
- Completion of two years of high school algebra, or equivalency, with grades of C or better.
- Cumulative G.P.A. of 2.75 on transfer credits (total earned points divided by number of credits).
- Applicants must complete a separate application process to the Professional Nursing Sequence, after completing college prerequisites.
Transfer students may apply to the professional nursing sequence once they meet all of the academic criteria. The formal application for admission to the professional nursing program must be filed by April 1, prior to the fall semester of desired entry into sophomore level nursing courses. All complete transfer student applications will be considered after June 30. Acceptance will be dependent on the number of slots open in the sophomore class. The transfer students will be prioritized in the same manner as internal university applicants until all openings are filled.
Application to the professional nursing sequence
Students wishing to enter the professional nursing sequence at the sophomore level must complete a formal application for admission by April 1, prior to the fall semester of desired sophomore nursing classes. Students must have completed all prerequisites by the end of the spring semester in which the application is filed. The completed application packet must be received by the deadline date in order to be considered for admission.
The nursing admission committee will review current student records after publication of the spring semester grade reports. Letters of acceptance/denial will be mailed by June 15. The committee will admit the most qualified students based on cumulative G.P.A., prerequisite G.P.A., science G.P.A. and previous academic records. Preference for admission will be given to the most qualified students. The School may find it necessary to deny admission to a qualified applicant because of enrollment limits in the professional nursing sequence. Depending on the number of qualified applicants, meeting the minimum criteria for admission may not be sufficient to be admitted to the professional nursing sequence. Entrance is a competitive process. Students not granted admission may either: a) make application one more time in the subsequent year or b) pursue a non-nursing major.
Those who wish to re-apply must submit a new application packet. Applications are not automatically carried forward. Applicants who have applied in the past are given no special consideration and are reviewed as a member of the current applicant pool. Individuals who re-apply must be currently enrolled at Viterbo University.
For additional information
To request further information about the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at Viterbo University, contact Viterbo University Admissions or call 608-796-3010 or 1-800-VITERBO.