Why Broad Field Social Studies at Viterbo?
The history department offers both a history major and a broad field social studies (BFSS) major. The BFSS major is an interdisciplinary degree with an emphasis in history and support courses drawn from the social sciences. It is a flexible degree that provides many options, including:
- preparing students for teaching positions in economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, and sociology.
- preparing students for many career paths for graduate school, law school, or employment in in non-profit, public, or private organizations.
A BFSS degree provides contextual knowledge and skills essential for any career, including:
- the ability to read critically
- write clearly
- construct effective arguments
- think creatively
- remain flexible and look at issues with an open mind
- and become culturally competent given diversity in the workplace and a global economy
With or without teacher certification, the BFSS degree provides a broad knowledge base that enriches one's life intellectually, a characteristic of a liberally educated person.
For more information, contact:
Keith Knutson, Ph.D.
Chair, Professor of History