The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program prepares students for professional holistic nursing practice. Faculty create an educational experience that embraces the pursuit of wisdom and the values of caring, integrity, collegiality, and commitment as preparation for faithful service and ethical leadership in a dynamic health care environment.Philosophy
As a School of Nursing rooted in Catholic Franciscan values, we believe that:
- Persons are biological, intrapersonal, interpersonal, and spiritual beings who develop and interact within families, communities, and their environment. Persons have inherent dignity and worth and the right to autonomy and self-determination in their life choices.
- Health is a dynamic state of balance between the biological, intrapersonal, interpersonal and spiritual components of persons, families, and communities. Wellness and illness are the personal lived experience of health.
- Environment consists of internal and external factors that influence the health and wellness of persons, families, and communities.
- Nursing is a healing art and science that assists persons, families, and communities in achieving optimal health and wellness throughout life.
- Professional nursing practice is built on the foundation of a baccalaureate education, which integrates the liberal arts and sciences with professional knowledge, skills, and values. Professional nursing practice in a dynamic health care environment is independent and collaborative.
- Learning is a lifelong endeavor that is self-motivated, reflective, and active. The processes and outcomes of learning include critical analysis and synthesis of knowledge and expertise.
- Teaching is a creative, reflective and interactive process that facilitates learning. Teaching involves the sharing of knowledge and experience grounded in theory, research, and practice.
- Teaching-learning practices incorporate active learning strategies, promote critical thinking and clinical judgment, and provide opportunities to develop professional values. Effective teaching and learning take place in an encouraging, challenging, and respectful environment.