Admission to Nursing Major
Requirements for Admission
To apply for admission into the nursing major, the applicant must meet the requirements for admission to Viterbo University including the following:
- Composite ACT score of at least 20
- Math ACT score of at least 20
- Reading ACT score of at least 20
- High school rank in the 55th percentile or higher
- Applicants with a high school rank below 55% must be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
- Applicants with no high school rank must have a high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale.
- Applicants with no high school rank and a GPA below 3.0 must be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
- Completion of one year of high school chemistry, or equivalency, with grades of C or better
- Completion of two years of high school algebra, or equivalency, with grades of C or better
- Applicants must complete a separate application process to the Professional Nursing Sequence, after completing university prerequisites.
Prerequisites for Beginning the Professional Nursing Sequence
To begin nursing designated courses in the sophomore level of the program, students must earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and show successful completion of the following courses or their equivalents:
- ENGL 103 or ENGL 105 or ENGL 195
- PSYC 171
- BIOL 104 and BIOL 114 (with grades of C or better)
- CHEM 120 and CHEM 121 OR CHEM 106 (with grades of C or better)
- SOCL 125
Once you are accepted into the professional nursing sequence you will be expected to complete the following by the first week of your sophomore level coursework:
- Current CPR for Professionals card from either of the following:
- American Heart Association – BLS for Healthcare Provider
- Red Cross – CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Documentation of CNA certification (Any state accepted)
- Nursing Student Physical Form
- Criminal background check
- Nursing Math Test – Academic Resource Center (This must be completed prior to the start of your sophomore level nursing coursework.)
To request further information about the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at Viterbo University, contact the Viterbo University Office of Admission, or call 608-796-3010 or 1-800-VITERBO.