Viterbo University Survey Clearinghouse
The Office of Assessment and Institutional Research (OAIR) serves as Viterbo University’s survey clearinghouse and serves to review, approve, and coordinate efforts to survey members of the Viterbo University community for purposes related to operational activities and internal management. Research conducted for institutional program evaluation, quality assurance, and marketing studies should seek clearinghouse approval. OAIR survey oversight does not supersede the policies and procedures of the Institutional Review Board. Regardless of whether a given survey is subject to OAIR oversight, researchers are still responsible for obtaining required IRB exemptions or permissions before implementing any survey or other research tool.
OAIR approval is NOT required for:
- Faculty-, student-, or staff-administered surveys to populations outside of the Viterbo University community (students, employees, alumni)
- Faculty-supervised survey research that contributes to students’ academic progress
- Course evaluations
- Administrative forms (registration for events, contact / comment information)
- Polls for student, faculty, or staff elections
- Evaluation of a specific event or workshop by participants.
- Feedback collected at a point of service.
- Academic program evaluation for program improvement (ie. Biology seniors)
OAIR approval is required for: Faculty-, student-, or staff-administered surveys to Viterbo students, employees, or alumni (other than the exempt categories listed above).
Submit the following to OAIR at least two weeks prior to the proposed start date for the survey:
- Description of the survey project, including the purpose and intended use of results;
- Specific population receiving the survey;
- Method of survey distribution (e.g., online or hard copy, via email, in class, at event, etc.);
- Time frame for administering the survey, including beginning and end dates, as well as if this is a regularly occuring survey or one-time survey;
- Evidence of IRB approval (if necessary);
- Current draft of the survey and all invitation and cover letters if not created in Qualtrics.
OAIR staff will review and respond to the Survey Request typically within one week.
If survey is to be delivered via Qualtrics, OAIR staff may be available to assist the requestor to design, post, and launch the survey.