Studio Art at Viterbo
The world of art is not limited to pieces with a paintbrush, pencil, or chisel, it is a compilation of strong skills, diverse strengths, and a sense of purpose that artists use to express themselves visually. Creativity based on a strong foundation of design, history, and experience with various media provides Viterbo University students with the practical and professional skills to flourish as a professional artist.
Studio art majors at Viterbo begin with hands-on learning in the studios on the very first day. Studio art students experience a year-long Freshman Art Foundations “boot camp” where drawing, design, and art history lessons help build confident artists. Art majors work in academic art studios, where the expectations for their work and research are limited only by their creativity. Viterbo art faculty are practicing artists and designers, so students learn from professionals how to develop and maintain a career in studio art.
The works of Viterbo art students have been selected for exhibition in regional and national shows. Studio art majors go on to become professional artists, art teachers, museum curators, art therapists, and exhibit designers. With a studio art degree from Viterbo University, graduates will be ready for a career as a professional artist or to pursue a graduate degree.
- State-of-the-art digital studios and digital labs
- Hands-on workshops with nationally and internationally renowned visiting artists
- Opportunities for students to exhibit their work in galleries on campus, All-Student Art Show, and published in the All-Student Art Show catalog
- Internship opportunities in regional art organizations, museums, advertising agencies, intercultural exchanges, department and gallery assistantships
- Faculty are practicing artists and designers
- Highly active student art club
"My experience at Viterbo gave me the tools and opportunities to go on to graduate school to pursue my passion. It was through the close mentoring of Viterbo's faculty that I grew as an artist and individual, expanding my understanding of what it means to be an artist and member of the community. As a professional in my field, I look back at my time at Viterbo with great pride in the connections and skills I learned on the third floor of the Viterbo Fine Arts Center."
- Book illustrator
- Creative director
- Filmmakers and film editor
- Professional artist
- Professional photographer
Graduate Schools/Employers of Alumni
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts Boston
- University of Iowa
- University of Kansas at Lawrence
- University of Wisconsin