First Meeting With Advisees
Each advisor will meet with their group of new advisees (new freshmen, new transfer and new re-entry students) prior to the beginning of the semester during Orientation Week. The purpose of this meeting is to have each advisee personally meet their advisor and for you to extend the Franciscan spirit of hospitality and help our new guests feel at home. The quality of this meeting is important since it is the beginning of a relationship building experience, which is the foundation of our program.
Some suggestions for this meeting:
- An activity to help new students get to know each other and you as their advisor.
- Share your business card and collect pertinent information from your advisees (contact information, interests, etc.)
- Brainstorm what the new students might be feeling along with suggestions on dissipating some of their anxieties.
- Share your availability and willingness to meet with them.
- Discussion of shared responsibilities between an advisor and advisee.
- Drop/Add process for week one.
- What to expect in week #1.
- An overview of the major and or department.
- The Learning Center
- Remind students that they need to confirm their enrollment at the Business Office during the first few days of class.
- Set up a meeting with your advisee by the end of week four. Bring your appointment book and set the meeting time before the advisees leave this first meeting.
- If a student doesn't attend, give him or her a call. A cell phone number can be found on the student info sheet in the advising folder.