The Low-Achieving Advisee
A Self-Inquiry Routine for Advisors
1. Is underachievement a problem with this advisee? Is he or she underachieving in all areas?
2. What capabilities can I infer from the advising folder?
3. Has this advisee any physically or academically limiting impediments?
4. Is remedial help available that is free from stigma?
5. Do I really know this advisee's interests? Can I utilize this information for more effective advising?
6. Does this advisee have academic successes? Can I account for the advisee's success in some areas, and lack of success in others?
7. Have I begun to sow seeds of dissatisfaction with complacency?
8. Do I talk with an advisee or to him or her?
9. Would my assistance in planning a time schedule with the advisee be welcome?
10. How many hours is this advisee employed?
11. Is this advisee attending class regularly?
12. Does this advisee know how to take notes or implement other learning/studying techniques?
13. Am I a potent reinforcer? Do my advisees perceive me as a resource?
14. Does this advisee's out-of-class life style support his or her educational efforts?
15. Does this advisee have solid peer contacts? Is his or her tour at college a solo performance?
16. Are there other campus resources who might be of help here?