Project Success Information
The School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Viterbo University is pleased to announce the S-STEM “Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics” program. Through “Project SUCCESS” (Scaffolding Undergraduate Curriculum and Career Exploration for Science Success) students are eligible for scholarships, academic support, career development along with additional opportunities in the sciences through this National Science Foundation S-STEM program.
The National Science Foundation Project SUCCESS Scholars program provides a renewable scholarship up to $10,000 per year in addition to other awards for students pursuing a degree in biology or environmental biology and who enroll at Viterbo University for fall 2017.
Selection criteria for SUCCESS Scholars
To be eligible for the SUCCESS Scholars program, an entering first year student will:
- demonstrate academic potential or ability with a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
- have a minimum ACT score of 22.
- demonstrate financial need as defined by FAFSA information.
- be a citizen of the United States, National of the United States (as defined in Section 101 (a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act), alien admitted as refugee under Section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
- be enrolled full time in a baccalaureate degree program in biology (other than a pre-health focus) and demonstrate an interest in a major of biology or environmental biology.
Preference will be given to an applicant who:
- is a member of a rural community.
- has the greatest financial need.
- demonstrates the greatest academic potential or ability.
- demonstrates an active interest in the sciences (may be demonstrated through science classes, science related outreach projects, employment, or volunteer positions).
To remain eligible SUCCESS Scholars must:
- successfully complete the Science Success course, Careers in Biology course, and related cohort coursework and study opportunities.
- attend and participate in the majority of project SUCCESS enrichment and professional opportunities as defined by the project SUCCESS leadership team.
- maintain a course of study in an approved STEM discipline.
- maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average.
How to apply
To apply for the SUCCESS Scholarship, you must:
- submit a completed application to Viterbo University and be accepted for admission. Free online application at www.viterbo.edu/apply.
- complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov and send the FAFSA to Viterbo University using our federal school code: 003911.
- submit the Viterbo University Scholarship Application at www.viterbo.edu/affordable.
Rewards of being a Viterbo Project SUCCESS Scholar
Scholarships – In addition to other awards provided by Viterbo University, Project SUCCESS Scholars will be awarded scholarship funds with a maximum of $10,000 per year based on need. Scholarships are renewable up to a total maximum of $40,000 over four years if the applicant continues to meet eligibility requirements.
Science focused summer orientation - Orientation prior to the first day of classes will focus on the natural world and include team building activities involving the SUCCESS Scholars cohort, peer mentors and faculty. Summer orientation will serve as the beginning of a strong foundation of social connections, peer support, teamwork, and confidence in one's transition into college.
Undergraduate research with Viterbo faculty - SUCCESS Scholars will be encouraged to participate in research projects including paid summer research opportunities at Viterbo. All Scholars will have the opportunity to work with a faculty mentor on independent research projects.
Career training – In addition to job shadowing, resume writing, and interview workshops, SUCCESS Scholars will have opportunities to travel to several regional graduate programs to learn about continuing education opportunities in the STEM fields throughout their time at Viterbo. Scholars will also receive additional stipends to support internships as part of their career development while working with Viterbo’s science partners in the field.
Being part of a community of learners with science outreach - As a community of learners, students will be housed together in a wing of the dorm their first year at Viterbo. These close living arrangements will promote mutual academic motivation and social support during the critical first year of the cohort. Working with faculty mentors, students will develop and present outreach activities at one of the two annual “Science Days” hosted by Viterbo University.
Science Success course (BIOL 112) - A 15-week, one-credit course developed to improve freshman retention in the sciences that will be coupled with tutoring sessions. The science success course will include a series of study skills workshops, test debriefs, introduction to campus resources, job exploration, and other academic supports as needed.
Careers in Biology course (BIOL 286) - A 15-week, one-credit, sophomore-level course designed to introduce students to diverse career options in the biological fields. It will include financial support for job shadowing/internship experience, guest lectures from employers from partner organizations, and informational interviewing sessions.
Gateway courses (active learning, faculty taught courses) - Core biology and chemistry courses will have embedded career exploration, science event participation, and inquiry-based, student-centered active learning to excite and engage SUCCESS Scholars in application of their STEM learning.
Peer mentors/tutors available to SUCCESS scholars– Available sessions with paid peer mentors and tutors in math and science courses will be provided for individualized support of SUCCESS scholars.