The Department of Recreational Sports hires Viterbo University students who have been awarded work study for the academic year, and also over the summer months. The student staff position is responsible for assisting in enforcement of policies and implementation of departmental mission to provide recreational, health and wellness activities for the Viterbo University Community including students, staff and faculty. The Staff provide customer service and help create an attractive and predictable environment for building users which promotes an increasing number of participants throughout a broad scope of programming interests. The academic year student staff typically work ten to twenty hours per week, while summer staff work twenty to forty hours per week.
- Maintaining a professional appearance at work by wearing department issued name tag, staff apparel, and keeping good hygiene. Upholding a positive, courteous, professional, service-minded, and fun attitude while working.
- Serving as a reference on current and accurate information regarding information about the Mathy Center, Department of Recreational Sports, and the university.
- Enforcing policies and procedures while maintaining security and safety over all of the Viterbo facility users and staff.
- Maintain controlled access of the facility by enforcing identification and membership policies at the Welcome Center and in the Fitness Center.
- Serve customers at all times in a professional manner, both at the counter and/or on the phone.
- Serving as a positive representative while participating in university and departmental activities, example: while participating in a recreation sport.
- Completing weekly cleaning, maintenance, and organizing duties at the Welcome Center and in the Fitness Center. After completing assigned tasks, mark the tasks off on the cleaning/maintenance logs. In addition, routine checks of all fitness and sports equipment to make sure the equipment is functioning properly are to be made.
- Knowing and implementing all emergency procedures, act as a first responder to any injuries or physical emergencies.
- Pursuing and maintain current certifications in first aid, CPR, and AED.
- Reporting all injuries, incidents, damaged or broken equipment, and usage needs/issues to the Director of Recreational Sports and/or the Assistant Director of Recreational Sports.
- Complete registrations, rentals, memberships, and sales as they arise; make sure proper paperwork is completed. Performing cash transactions and appropriately manage cash at the Welcome Center. Forward any errors onto the Personnel Supervisor and the Director of Recreational Sports.
- Carry out other responsibilities as delegated or assigned by the Director of Recreational Sports and the Assistant Director of Recreational Sports.
- Current student at Viterbo University with work-study awards
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED certifications
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Work well with others
- Ability to utilize resources
- Be able to react quickly in any given situation
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lift tables, chairs, and boxes over twenty pounds
- Customer service, problem-solving, and mediation skills
- Willingness to learn and improve upon current skills
Student Staff Application