Who Was Todd Wehr?
C. Frederick "Todd" Wehr
(1889-1965), industrialist and philanthropist, was co-founder of the Wehr Steel
Company and founder of the Todd Wehr Foundation, Inc. Wehr was a graduate of
West Division High School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and of Cornell University in
Ithaca, New York.
He and his brothers comprised the executive team of the Wehr Steel Company,
which was founded in 1910 by his father, Henry Wehr. The company manufactured
steel alloy castings for machine parts, as well as magnetic separators and
brakes. During World War II, it received numerous "E" awards from the
government for excellence in steel production.
In 1958, the company was reorganized as a division of the Wehr Corporation.
Wehr became the chairman of the board, a position he held until his retirement
Wehr left the bulk of his estate to a trust set up for charitable religious,
scientific and educational purposes. Many Wisconsin universities and cultural
organizations have benefited from the Todd Wehr Foundation, including Viterbo
University, which received a grant to renovate the facility that now bears the
name Todd Wehr Memorial Library.