"A LOOK INTO THE PAST"
In Social Studies class we have
just finished studying the lives of certain pioneers, and so before we
begin a reading lesson on Laura Ingalls Wilder I would like you to individually
find more out about Laura Ingalls Wilder herself.
1. First, take out a sheet of paper and write a
short paragraph on what you may already know about Laura Ingalls Wilder.
This does not need to be very long, just a brief paragraph
so that I know what you may already know. Also write down some stuff that
you might like to learn about her.
2. PRINT OFF THIS PAGE so that you may have a copy of the worksheet.
3. Use the link below to answer the following worksheet questions.
4. Go to http://webpages.marshall.edu/~irby1/laura/frames.html
5. Put this assignment in the appropriate folder
on my desk when finished.
1. When and where was Laura Ingalls Wilder born?
2. Name the family members of Laura Ingalls Wilder? Parents and siblings? Make sure that you name all of them! (HINT)
3. What was the Homestead Act of 1862 and what affect did this have on Laura's family at that time?
4. Why was the family saddened in the year 1876?
5. What was something that Laura accomplished, while going to school back in Walnut Grove, without even trying to do?
6. What happened to Laura's sister Mary?
7. Explain what the Hard Winter of 1880-1881 was, and how did it affect the families that experienced it?
8. At what age did Laura get her teaching certificate, and by what school was she first employed at?
9. How did Almanzo and Laura meet, and when did they get married?
10. List some things that Almanzo and Laura went through that Laura's parents also went through years earlier?
11. When did Almanzo die?
12. When did Laura die?
**** Name "The Little House on the Prairie" series of books:
This is the beginning of a three
week lesson on Laura Ingalls Wilder. We will experiment with various things
that she did in the frontier life. For example, things such as churning
butter, growing crops, building sod houses, making certain foods. We will
also enjoy many of her books during this time. GET READY FOR A FUN AND
ADVENTUROUS THREE WEEKS!
" PA AND MA INGALLS"
"CARRIE, LAURA AND MARY INGALLS"
DIRECT ALL COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS TO