Handbook - The Low-Achieving Advisee
A Self-Inquiry Routine for Advisors
- Is underachievement a problem with this advisee? Is he or she underachieving in all areas?
- What capabilities can I infer from the advising folder?
- Has this advisee any physically or academically limiting impediments?
- Is remedial help available that is free from stigma?
- Do I really know this advisee's interests? Can I utilize this information for more effective advising?
- Does this advisee have academic successes? Can I account for the advisee's success in some areas, and lack of success in others?
- Have I begun to sow seeds of dissatisfaction with complacency?
- Do I talk with an advisee or to him or her?
- Would my assistance in planning a time schedule with the advisee be welcome?
- How many hours is this advisee employed?
- Is this advisee attending class regularly?
- Does this advisee know how to take notes or implement other learning/studying techniques?
- Am I a potent reinforcer? Do my advisees perceive me as a resource?
- Does this advisee's out-of-class life style support his or her educational efforts?
- Does this advisee have solid peer contacts? Is his or her tour at college a solo performance?
- Are there other campus resources who might be of help here?