About Viterbo

About Murphy

Service and Emotional Support/Assistance Animals Policy

Viterbo University determines on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, whether a request for a service or support/assistance animal is a reasonable accommodation. Viterbo University enforces a no pet policy in campus buildings including housing facilities. Exceptions in housing facilities are only for fish in a properly-maintained aquarium no larger than ten gallons and for live-in Residence Life Area Coordinators to have pets under strict conditions.

Service Animal: A service animal is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as any dog that is trained to work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability, including physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or mental disabilities. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler’s disability. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals with disabilities may use service animals in any public area unless doing so poses a danger to the health or safety of others or causes undue burden. Individuals with disabilities who use a service animal on campus must register with Disability Services.  Such students who will be living in campus housing facilities must complete and submit application and documentation materials to Disability Services a minimum of 30 days prior to the date provided by Residence Life for move in. The Director of Student Life will enforce housing rules and regulations and assign the student appropriate housing.

Emotional Support/Assistance Animal: For an individual with a disability, an emotional support/assistance animal is an animal whose role is to provide companionship, affection, security, calming influence, emotional support, or otherwise function as part of a regimen of psychological treatment. While a university may be required to reasonably accommodate an emotional support/assistance animal in campus housing facilities, under FHA, the university is not required to allow that student to bring the emotional support/assistance animal to other areas or buildings on campus. To request an emotional support/assistance animal, a student living in campus housing must provide required documentation of disability and submit a completed application and agreement to Disability Services.  Requests to have an emotional support/assistance animal on campus must be approved by Disability Services a minimum of 30 days prior to the date provided by Residence Life for move in. Emotional support/assistance animals are only allowed in the owner’s room or apartment and are excluded from all other areas of campus. For further information, visit the Disability Services website.